Friday, April 10, 2015

The Art of Living in Community, Introduction into the Hippie counterculture Part I

"Build it and they will come."  This phrase has floated in and out of my head for over a decade now and at various stages in my life during my early 20's.  At this point in my life, I was nearing graduation for my Bachelor's degree from a University in Florida. Born and raised a Floridian through and through, I had a pretty typical upbringing in the South (as I was from Northern FL).  Religion was a big influence during my preteen and teen years.  Although, my parents never raised me in a church it was more through my friends and socailization that I found myself spending my Wednesday nights and Sundays going to church with different groups of friends.  I genuinely enjoyed being in groups of people.  I pretty much hit all denominations, mega churches, and even the smallest congregation of about 20 or so.   I ate the standard American diet; coming from a meat and potatoes kinda of father. We typically took one vacation a year which was usually a destination within Florida or to visit some family roots in New Jersey.  I didn't really have too much outside exposure to travel, other cultures, foods, or family dynamics.  It was either your parents were still married or you were from a single-parent home.  That's really as diverse as I saw it growing up.

I have always been a rebel at heart and this played out subtly during my childhood years but really was able to spread my wings during college.  Besides the typically transitions you would expect from living under your parents roof to being on your own, I still was rather vanilla looking back at myself. It wasn't until I friended my first "hippie" that my life started to get a little more color (of course, that TIE DYE color) and depth to it.  We met while working together at a holistic chiropractic office in an upscale area in Orlando. She was about 10 years or so older than me.  She was married without children.  And she just oozed kindness and love like I had never experienced before. We would often spend our lunch breaks eating and chatting across the street at a natural grocery store where her husband worked. He was a gentle, calm soul; one who had seen many more lifetimes.   From the moment I met them, I was so intrigued and magnetized as they shared stories of their travels; following musicians, being whitewater rafting guides, and even living out of a van.  Sure I had musical obsessions with Janis and Jimi as a middle schooler but I had never really met people leading such an alternative lifestyle.  It was a breath of fresh air and an immediate connection to my soul.

My new friend was a blossoming student midwife.  She would share stories from class, births and would use me as her study partner for anatomy exams and such while on lunch breaks.  During one of our lunch breaks she told me all about this place called The Farm in Tennessee.  It seemed like the real mecca for everything "hippie".  Intentional communities, self sustaining village, organic farming...my mind was blown and little did I know what this would come to mean for me years down the road in becoming a doula.  I went out and purchased a book about the history of The Farm that to this day I have displayed on my alter.  It was all so fascinating to me and I immediately felt a connection to this way of life.  I wanted to live on The Farm!  I wanted to live in community.  I wanted to build a community.

As our friendship grew so did my heart and mind.  I was introduced to a whole new groups of friends, and activities.  I found myself at drum circles, open mics, organic gardening clubs, vegetarian potlucks and simple living meet ups rather than the local college pubs with people my age.  Along this journey I also made a vow to not work for "The Man".  I wanted to work grassroots style, or for small business owners.  I felt like I was getting to know myself truly for the very first time.  I began to research farming stewardships across the globe and visited local organic farms.  I dove in head first yet my relationship at the time wasn't swimming along, rather drying up.

Needless to say, I never fulfilled that dream of working on an organic farm.  I was able to survive until I was about 26 years old of not working for "The Man".  I caved and began working for Corporate America for a brief stint until just recently.  But what I did gain was a whole new ideology, one that wasn't so stale, conforming and self centered.  I had found me, my mantra, a purpose and dreams.

Although I had tucked away that burning desire of living on a farm for sometime.  It sure didn't mean it had disappeared.  And it definitely did not mean I had given up.  That's not the kind of person I am. And that's not how the Universe works and provides.  Life had moved on for the time being but little did I know that the progression of my life path would lead me into communal living offerings.  Ones that I completely obliged.  

Some of the great people and places that paved my road...
The Farm
http://www.thefarm.org/

Simple Living Institute
http://www.simplelivinginstitute.org/

Sweetwater Organic Community Farm
http://sweetwater-organic.org/

The Art of Living in Community, The Brown Compound- Part II coming soon.....





No comments:

Post a Comment